Congratulations on your decision to pursue a major or minor in political science at Howard University. This quest--like all quests--will give you the opportunity to grow in knowledge, character, and skill. You will learn a lot about yourself, those around you, society, and the world. You will form new, and hopefully better, more collaborative relationships. You will participate in--and maybe start--any number of student organizations. You will make difficult decisions and improve your judgment about the ways you can best serve your many communities upon graduation. Your degree will be part of your reputation, a reputation that all political science majors are responsible for. The adversity you face in the form of setbacks, anxiety, frustration, disorientation, and disappointment can all be part of your personal growth as you learn more about yourself and take greater ownership of your leadership skills in society and the world. For examples of growth through adversity see any of the recent Disney movies, like Raya, Moana, Soul, Frozen 2, or Luca (really, a ton of movies are like this).
But we never want adversity to end in defeat. So, we have put together this list of “quest-ions” frequently asked by your predecessors on this journey. The guidance offered here will not always be exactly what you need or want, but it will be very helpful. The information below is designed to help you get the information you need as quickly as possible. Read through it carefully and apply what you can to your own situation. As you will see, academic and career advisors are here to help you along the way.
Here is a summary of the questions you will find answered by clicking here, organized broadly by subject matter:
For Political Science (POLS) Majors
- What courses do I need to earn a bachelor of arts (BA) degree in Political Science?
- Is a concentration required for my POLS major? What are my options for a concentration within my POLS major?
- What are the general education requirements for political science majors?
- Is swimming a required course and can I test out of it?
- How do I sign up for an independent study (IS) course?
- To graduate, do I have to take the POLS Comprehensive Exam?
- Who guides me in selecting my major and minor courses and helping me make sure that I graduate on time?
For Political Science (POLS) Minors
- What are the requirements for a minor in political science?
- How and when do I pick a minor?
- Can I double major?
For those interested in related programs
- How do I become an Honors Student?
- After starting at HU, can I apply for the BA (POLS)/ JD program?
- What is the pre-law program at Howard?
- Who do I contact if I want to do study abroad?
For those needing help with registration
- How do I register for my courses? Who chooses my courses for me?
- Why am I getting an error message when I try to register for a POLS class (or any class)?
- How do I keep track of my progress to ensure that I will graduate on time?
- What do I do if I can’t access Degree Works?
- How do I figure out if my prior courses will transfer to Howard?
- Who reviews and approves my International Baccalaureate (IB) or Advanced Placement (AP) credits?
- What do I do if a class is full and I need it to graduate?
- What are my options if I have been waitlisted for a class?
- If I have a hold on my account, what should I do?